Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedro's family 47

G'day all.

I'm not sure my plans qualify as a build but my goal is to have her as a dual cab that I can take my family camping and on beach trips in. I also eventually want her turbo'ed either after market or 12ht. After market logically seems the smarter, easier option, but I find something very alluring about the 12ht.

I bought the HJ because I have loved them since a kid and I wanted to learn about cars as I didn't have a clue what resides under the bonnet or the body for that matter.

Here is a picture of her the day I bought her.
    HJ.jpg

Since then, I have rebuilt the swivel and rear hubs, overhauled the brakes, done the 60 series power steering conversion and am halfway through getting air con in. I very recently sourced a dual cab that I hope to restore and swap with the current cab. I'm still waiting to take delivery of the cab but here are a couple of pics ... it obviously needs A LOT of work!

dual cab 1.jpg

dual cab 2.jpg

I don't even own a welder (yet) so this will be quite the learning experience, and hopefully I don't completely butcher it.

Hats off to the admins for the page .... a repository of 40s info has been desperately needed and this site is its beginning.

Cheers

Peter

Honestly you couldn't have picked a better rig to "learn cars" on. Last of the line HJ47.
    Power steer is quite an undertaking so well done.

Dual cab will be hard work but worth it I'm sure. As you know I'm always happy to lend an ear or a hand when you need it.

Comment

we all are happy too pedro.
      A HJ47 that puts johnny cash's psycobilly caddilac to shame

Comment

Thanks gents!

Well I took delivery of the dual cab body yesterday and it has been a lesson of why you don't buy unseen objects and use photos as a reference. The cab is shagged. I couldn't have sold it to someone knowing its state. The seller has claimed to ignorance of the true state of the cab and I am trying my best to take them on their word but there are literally chasms in the tub. The excitement of finding a dual cab has faded to frustration and its been a good reminder to keep emotions in check when when searching for unicorn poo ...... sometimes you find a unicorn, sometimes a poo ..... eventually you will find unicorn poo ... but I just found poo this time. Anyways, I need to strip it back ie take the roof and rear doors off, clean out the interior and see what I actually have. There is a possibility of salvaging something out of it, but I am not confident about that.

Anyways, live and learn. Hope you all had a great weekend.

Peter

Comment

Thats truly disappointing!! It just comes down to how much time, patience and money you have to put into fixing it. I'm sure it can be sorted out eventually.

Comment

It's in pretty bad shape Hogman. I've put it up on the facebook pages but am insisting on inspection. And so the search continues......

Comment

Hey Pete, sorry to see the dual cab is way past gone.. there sure are some dodgy folk out there who will do / say anything to make a sale. I'm sure if you had the skills now and werent learning it would still be considerable work.. hang in there, i'm sure something will come up that IS right for you!

Comment

Don't worry, look and you shall find pedro. Dont mind me about the rust repairs i have two welders and tenacity. It did look bad and would be a long job to fix.

Comment

Cheers all.

I finally got it off the back of my HJ and have it sitting in my garage. The emotions are starting to level out ..... and despite some interest in it, once I am open about its condition, the interest fades rather quickly. I'll strip it down and see exactly what is there. The B pillars look okay and if the roof is salvageable, maybe a cut and shut that Ray suggested to me offline may be the go. There are still options .... I have some thinking to do but will keep the thread updated.

thanks again all.

Comment

No problems at all. If I can help you at all with advice and such just ask.

Comment

How the thinking going bud? Its some hard decision making needed

Comment

Working...
                      X