1984 fj45

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1984 fj45

I have had my 1984 fj45 for a while now, I bought it as a basically stock truck except it had a 350 chev conversion done in 1995 and had factory p/s, factory aircon and front disc brakes. This is how it looked when I bought it

Not long after I decided to put in a diesel and the easiest option for me was to buy a donar car in this instance it was a 1993 hzj75 which I picked up for 2k so I parted out the 75 and made my money back pretty quick and put the 1hz engine, h55f, and accessories on the shed floor and then stepped out the 350 a d 4 speed from the fj45 and sold it off

Comment

I have not got many pics of the install sorry but it wasn't overly hard, I used the chassis mounts off the hzj75 and welded them into the fj45 chassis, the crossmember is still in the original 1984 position with the 5sp. Wiring was hardest for me as its my weakest point ( I'm a diesel fitter ) but I managed, relocated battery to the passenger side, run the coil wire to the fuel shutoff solenoid on the injector pump for start and stop, beefed up the starter wiring and installed a relay, installed a glow relay and momentary switch to operate in the cab, oil pressure and water temp are as original but I installed a aftermarket temp guage as well. Fuel system was easy, used the hzj75 lift pump and filter setup and run new fuel lines. Also used a 60 series airbox with a 75 series lid and installed a snorkel at the same time, using the fj45 radiator which I have dropped down 2 inches lower into the chassis so the engine fan clears the bottom outlet.
      Last edited by Mr_toyoda; 08-02-2014, 11:38 AM.

Comment

I then decided to do a rear disc conversion using a late hzj75 rear housing. I picked one up pretty cheap but completely rebuilt it with all new bearings, rotors, pads and put a spartan locker in at the same time, I had to cut off the perches and relocate them 30mm towards the diff centre on both sides

Comment

Then I cut and shut a 75 series bullbar, installed 100 watt hid lights, fitted pto winch, extended shackles and a set of 33 inch maxxis 764s

Comment

With the 33s on I felt the need for a little boost so I acquired a 1hdft turbo setup and had the oil line modified to accept a hose I had made up and installed. I run 16 psi at this stage

Comment

Not long after that my p/s box decided to blow a seal so I pulled all the factory p/s out and had the box recoed and sold it off, I gathered all the bits and done a 60 series conversion using splined 40 steering shaft, 75 series uni and intermediate shaft down onto a 60 series box then onto 75 series steering arms and king pin arms, I installed crush tubes into the chassis and also used 75 series steel p/s lines to the power steering pump. Also had to move the steering damper mount and reweld. This is a really good mod and is a vast improvement in handling and strength over the factory steering

Comment

My then 1hz decided to die by putting a conrod outside the block so I built another 1hz but put a 1hdt head and injector pump on plus a few other bits. While the engine was out I painted the engine bay and tidied a few things up

Comment

I also done a dual battery system in the tray running a mechanical iscolator

Comment

I wanted to raise my fuel capacity so I installed a 79 series rear fuel tank

Comment

I got given a style side tray so I panelbeated and painted it myself, it's not the greatest panel job but it saved me money

Comment

Lots more mods planned and going back to the drawing board soon and am putting the cab on a vdj79 chassis and driveline. I have not found the style side practical for camping so I'm ditching that. Any questions about the build just ask as I've left heaps out I think.

Comment

Nice truck! Engine conversion looks very neat!!!!

Comment

Excellent job ,I fitted a 1HZ and H55F to my BJ and now I am working on an 1984 FJ45 I picked up under a tree. Amazing that it has 170k,s on it and is rust free.

Comment

Thanks for posting.. a few questions..

Can you take any pics of the chassis engine mounts? i'll be doing a 2f to 15b swap soon and i'm looking for how others have done it
                              What did you use to cut the spring perches off the rear diff?
                              how much fuel capacity over stock did you get with the upgrade fuel tank

Comment

Working...
                              X