Twistys 1977 HJ45 Ute

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twistys 1977 HJ45 Ute

Picked up this mid last year. Was meant to become my daily driver for a while and the wife would drive our FJ Cruiser. This lasted a few months of which I really enjoyed driving it. Eventually it was time to take it off the road for a couple of weeks to do power steering and disc brakes. I started tidying things up while I had the front end off and this ended up snow balling into a full body off rebuild. Story from start to current will be posted below.

Details
    1977 HJ45 Ute
    2H 6cyl. Diesel (out of a 60 series)
    5 speed (out of a 60 series)
    Rear housing from a 60 series
    Has all the front end gear to fit 60 series p/steer and disc brakes

Plans were to loose all the stickers, bullbar, and mirrors. Fit stock bumper and mirrors, and just get all of it looking as factory as possible. Then look at turbo'ing the 2H too.

1977 HJ45 Ute
    1984 BJ42 Middy
    2012 FJ Cruiser

Removed all the stickers and the bullbar and gave it a wash. Looking much better!

1977 HJ45 Ute
    1984 BJ42 Middy
    2012 FJ Cruiser

Comment

PIcked up a rusty styleside that has been tore down and sand blasted. Plan was to build a RHS frame for it and run a timber floor in it.

This is what it looked like before the rusty floor was removed

1977 HJ45 Ute
      1984 BJ42 Middy
      2012 FJ Cruiser

Comment

Stock mirrors fitted and badges added.

1977 HJ45 Ute
        1984 BJ42 Middy
        2012 FJ Cruiser

Comment

Decided to try on my FJ Cruisers 35s on 17x8 Trailready HD Series rims to see what it looked like.

Was pretty happy with the look, so I ended up ordering some Method Race wheels through a business I do a bit of work for, Monster Rides.
          1977 HJ45 Ute
          1984 BJ42 Middy
          2012 FJ Cruiser

Comment

With the rims ordered, it was time to start sorting the styleside tub. I do drawings for a sheet metal company now and then, so I hit them up about if they could match the profile of the stock sides and bend them up out of new sheet metal.

They nailed it!
            1977 HJ45 Ute
            1984 BJ42 Middy
            2012 FJ Cruiser

Comment

With the styleside half sorted, I sold the original dropside tray and fitted a temporary alloy one. The new Method Race Wheels had also arrived. Wheels are 17x8.5 "Standards" from Monster Rides. I work part time for MR, so if anyone is after a quote on any of the Method Race wheel range send me a PM.

Some 35" MTZs were fitted to the wheels and bolted on for a look.

1977 HJ45 Ute
              1984 BJ42 Middy
              2012 FJ Cruiser

Comment

Meanwhile I picked up a free turbo from a mate. Its a Holset HX25 off a 3.8l Cummins Diesel Generator. The turbo is in great condition, but just needed a good cleanup. It's a little on the small side, but I'm not chasing anything massive out of the 2h. Will just be making an adapter to fit it to the stock manifold.

Turbo cleaned up. Looking much better!

1977 HJ45 Ute
                1984 BJ42 Middy
                2012 FJ Cruiser

Comment

Was now time to start fitting the 60 series disc brakes and power steering. All factory steering and shock mounts were removed from the chassis and front diff housing stripped down. Gave the chassis, springs, and diff housing a sand and a couple coats of paint. Was also installing IFS hubs, F250 shock towers and 10" travel Bilstein 5125s at the same time.

1977 HJ45 Ute
                  1984 BJ42 Middy
                  2012 FJ Cruiser

Comment

Had my mate Ray (EFJ40 on here) rebuild the front disc calipers for me.

Before pics.

After a sandblast and all new parts.

1977 HJ45 Ute
                    1984 BJ42 Middy
                    2012 FJ Cruiser

Comment

IFS hub kit from Buds Customs with the IFS hub from my old 4runner and a 60 series rotor. Stock IFS rotor bolts are used to mount the rotor spacer to the hub, then new bolts supplied with the kit bolt the rotor to the spacer.

Old vs New

Installed.
                      1977 HJ45 Ute
                      1984 BJ42 Middy
                      2012 FJ Cruiser

Comment

Pics of the F250 Shock Tower and 10" travel bilstein 5125s installation. I cut and straightened them in the press, then welded up the gap and ground them smooth. This allows them to fit in the stock inner guard opening and more clearance to the tyre when flexing.

1977 HJ45 Ute
                        1984 BJ42 Middy
                        2012 FJ Cruiser

Comment

Added a bush to the stock 40 series column so its supported at the firewall. Thanks to Ray (EFJ40) for finding a off the shelf bush that works.

Its a VU/VY commodore radius rod to control arm bush. Part number is 48019. Its a bush kit with 4 bushes, 2 large and 2 small. The one you need is the small one. You'll have 3 bushes left over, 1 of which can do another column.

80 series rag joint and uni are used to mate the stock 40 series column to a 70 series intermediate shaft. Shaft was shortened at each to suit at the factory slip joints (no welding). Still need to paint all this.

3mm plate to the inside of the chassis rails with crush tubes welded to it.

80 series pitman arm was fitted to the 60 series box so the tie rod had more clearance to the leaf springs.
                          Last edited by Twisty; 18-02-2014, 06:55 AM.
                          1977 HJ45 Ute
                          1984 BJ42 Middy
                          2012 FJ Cruiser

Comment

With the front end turning out so nice, it made me wish the whole ute looked just as good. A few beers were had night and it was decided to do a frame off restoration.

Engine coming out.

Cab all stripped. I was stoked with the condition of the cab. No major rust at all, just some tiny bits of surface rust here and there. Only bodywork to do is get the sills straight as both have copped a hit offroad.

1977 HJ45 Ute
                            1984 BJ42 Middy
                            2012 FJ Cruiser

Comment

Body off.

1977 HJ45 Ute
                              1984 BJ42 Middy
                              2012 FJ Cruiser

Comment

Working...
                              X